Pages

February 22, 2012

Poppy Mousse Cake with Blood Orange Cream, Coffee Ganache on Beetroot Joconde

Huh, that was a long day! I can hardly get my thoughts together, but I did not want to wait until tomorrow to share this tiny treat with you. It reminds me of an old fashioned hat, I can't explain it, but that is what I had to think about all the time, while taking the photos. I was once again so stupid! I had the idea of this poppy mousse already about three years ago, but I did not dare to go for it! Yeah, once more! But today, while checking out my notes, I found it again, and I felt like if not now, then I will probably never try to make it. I was so nervous! Originally, I planned to take my mom's delicious poppy pie and turn it into a parfait, but never done. As time passed by, the parfait turned into mousse and finally it is here. Poppy and lemon are inseparable in my eyes, though orange is also great, but it will never be the same like with lemon. So I decided to add a layer of blood orange and lemon based on the beet tart from earlier. I do not even know how to call it, after all it. It is like a curd, but I am not sure if that's the proper name for it. It is actually like a silky pudding and just perfect with the poppy mousse. The base is a joconde and its colour comes from beet, just like the meringue, but you do not taste it. However, coffee is also there in the background in form of a ganache, but it stays there!




 

Ingredients:
makes 5 8 cm round cakes
50 g ground almond
50 g powder sugar
30 g egg yolks
30 g egg whites
10 g beetroot juice
50 g flour
100 g egg whites
60 g sugar


 


Mix together the almond with powder sugar, add 30 g egg yolk and 30 g egg white and whisk until fluffy. Whisk in the beet juice and keep on whisking for about 5 minutes. Stir in flour, while that beat 100 g egg white with sugar until it forms soft peaks and fold it into the almond mixture. Bake for 5-6 minutes over 230°C.

100 ml blood orange juice
 25 ml lemon juice
120 g sugar
150 ml cream
3 eggs
1/2 egg yolk

Preheat the oven to 120ºC. Put the ingredients of the filling into a heatproof bowl, mix it together and leave it over a bain marie until it reaches 60ºC. Now pour it over a sieve, remove any bubbles and pour it into silicon form. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until it has reached 70ºC in a water bath. Let it cool and chill, and before assembling the cakes freeze it for 30 minutes.

100 g poppy seed

100 ml milk
3 tablespoon vanilla sugar
zest of a lemon
4 egg yolks
120 ml simple syrup
150 ml cream
4 sheets gelatine


Ground poppy seed, add vanilla sugar and cook it in the milk over low heat until it has absorbed. Stir in freshly grated lemon zest. Stir in the previously soaked gelatine and set aside. Beat egg yolks over steam with the simply syrup until fluffly and thick, then remove it from the heat and keep on beating until cool. Fold it into the poppy mixture, then fold in beaten cream.

50 g egg whites
50 g sugar
50 g powder sugar
10 g beet juice


Beat egg whites with a pinch of salt, then add sugar gradually and beat it into stiff peaks. Fold in powder sugar and beat juice. Pipe it onto a baking sheet and dry over 100°C for  30-45 minutes.


 

2 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Marvelous! What a heavenly dessert.

Cheers,

Rosa

Nysa said...

completely marvelous!

Related Posts with Thumbnails