Pages

January 10, 2012

Mille Feuille

Well, actually I promised that I will not bake during January, but I've failed thanks to the puff pastry. Okay, it could have ended up in something salty, but a mille feuille is just unbeatable and a must. Agree? However, I did not listen to the recipe and rolled the pastry only about 80-90 mm, instead of 2 cm. Therefore soon I am going to bake this again which is just the perfect opportunity to try another recipe for puff pastry!



Ingredients:
puff pastry

500 ml milk
100 g sugar
4 egg yolks
45 g cornstarch
1 vanilla pod
heavy cream




Scrap vanilla seeds (I used two pods, because they seemed to be so thin) and bring milk together with the seeds and the pod to the boil While that whisk together the egg yolks with sugar ( I used homemade vanilla sugar) and corn starch. As soon as the milk boils pour some of it to the egg yolk mixture while stirring constantly. Pour it back (through a sieve to avoid lumps) to the rest of the milk and bring it to the boil and cook it for 2 minutes. Pour it into a bowl, sprinkle the top with powder sugar and let it cool, then chill for a few hours. Weigh pastry cream and stir in a third of the weighted amount in form of beaten cream. Roll out puff pastry 2 cm thick, put a baking paper on top, take two corks and put a wrack on the pastry. Bake for 20-25 minutes over 180°C or until it browns.


4 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Homemade, simply to die for!

Cheers,

Rosa

beti said...

they look really good and perfectly made! I haven't made them but I will try them they look so simple

chriesi said...

@Rosa: Oh yes! :)

@beti: Thanks. Great!

Jen Laceda | Milk Guides said...

Can't wait to try this mille feuille! I love this dessert, so it's a good thing you didn't keep to your promise! LOL!

Related Posts with Thumbnails