Pages

August 16, 2011

Walnut Crusted Cod with Vermouth Braised Fennel, Gnocchi and Red Currant "Mayonnaise"

My greengrocer has planted many various and special kinds of potatoes. One of my favourte is an old Swiss type the so called Parli, that has such a wonderful taste and a great consistency, just perfect for a potato salad. Among the blue and purple potato types, or the well known Bamberger Hörnchen or the famous French La Ratte, but even the colourful Scottisch Yetholm Gypsy are available in the selection. It is indeed very difficult to decide which one I should try as next. This time the Scottisch Highland Burgundy Red also known as the Red Cardinal, made it into my basket.


I did not have to think much about the way of preparation, because it was clear that either a puree or a gnocchi would be the best way to show as much of its colour as possible. However, well I was not disappointed, but I expected a more intense red colour, instead the result was a slightly purple-pink. But the taste and the consistency just gorgeous. I bet these would make real delicious pommes frites. Anyway, what about the rest of the dish? Well, the main part of it is a walnut crusted fillet of cod, where by the way I used red walnuts. I also served slices of vermouth braised fennel and using the braising liquid with the addition of some fresh parmesan cheese and cold butter I whisked a light sauce. The only intense red colour on the plate is a red currant mayonnaise, that was inspired by a friend's gooseberry mayonnaise.

4 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Beautiful, as always!

Cheers,

Rosa

Unknown said...

I've been looking for these Highland Burgundy Red potatoes for some time now, but haven't seen them anywhere. They look great on the plate. I have to admit, I'm a little bit jealous, that you have a greengrocer who has so many kinds of potatoes ;)

It's a great idea to create a sauce/mayonnaise from red currants! Thanks for the credit, but I got the idea from the Alinea book, so the credit belongs to Grant Achatz.

Mary Bergfeld said...

This sounds delicious. This is my first visit to your blog, so I decided to browse through some of your earlier posts while I was here. I'm so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you feature here and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

chriesi said...

@Rosa: Thank you!

@Beatbull: Well, I am very lucky to have such a greengrocer. Though they will not keep all the potatoes in the selection, unfortunately.

@Mary: Welcome to my little place! :) I am happy that you like my recipes. I do follow your blog since a long while and I enjoy it very much!

Related Posts with Thumbnails